If you want to visit Thailand for tourism purposes , you need to enter the country on a Tourist Visa (TR Visa) which can be either Single or Double-Entry:
- Single-Entry allows the holder to enter Thailand once, and allowing a continuous stay of 60 days in Thailand ( which can be extended for 30 more days) .
- Double-Entry Tourist Visa, allows the holder to enter Thailand on a tourist visa once, leave Thailand, then come back to use the second entry – thus allowing two trips to Thailand on one visa application. Double-Entry Tourist Visa allows 2 entries into the country, each of 60 days duration( after each 60-day stay you can get a 30-day extension).
After each 60-day stay permit is finished, you can get a 30-day extension at an immigration office in Thailand for which you will have to file an application for an extension of stay and pay 1900 THB ,so Single-Entry Tourist Visa gives you a 90-day stay and Double-Entry one gives you 180-day stay all up.
- The holder of a tourist visa is allowed to study and attend a short-term course (shorter than 6 months) with no need to hold an ED Visa.
- The holder of a tourist visa is not allowed to work or conduct business in Thailand.
- If you are from one of the countries which have bilateral agreements on visa exemption with Thailand , The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows you to enter without a visa. They are granted a visa-free stay of maximum 30 days but only if entering Thailand via an international airport. However, persons, entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries will be granted a maximum stay of 15 days. If you want to stay longer than 30 days , it is highly recommended to enter the country on a tourist visa. You can find the list of the countries which VER supports at the bottom of the page.
Requirements for a Tourist Visa
When applying for a tourist visa, certain documents and fees are required. The documents and the fee are subject to change anytime and without prior notice, so it would be a good idea for an aspiring Thai tourist to inquire about the right information before flying off to Thailand.
- Passport or travel document with a validity not less than 6 months
- Visa application form (filled out)
- One(1) recent 4x6cm. photograph of the applicant
- Round-trip air ticket or e-ticket (paid in full)
- Proof of financial means (20,000 THB per person/40,000 THB per family)
- US $ 30.00 per entry or equivalent. The tourist visa fee is subject to change without the prior notice, so it is a good idea to be updated by visiting the nearest Thai Embassy or consulate in your area.
The list of the countries allowed entering Thailand under the VER:
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States